Thursday, January 21, 2010

Can I ask you a favour?

It takes a village to raise a puppy.

I have been asking a lot of favours lately because 1) Mozart can't yet stay alone as long as we have to go to work and 2) I love the little dude, but I have no idea what I'm doing.

My lovely neighbour checks in on Mozart at 10:00 am and walks him at noon. Because of this, he can happily last from 8:30 to about 3:30, and I can concentrate at work without worrying. My sister, her boyfriend and my lovely friend A. have been checking in on him periodically and walking/chaperoning him for anywhere from an hour to half a day. While I sometimes worry about taking advantage of them, there is reciprocity in our relationships. I can pay them back.

But then we leave the zone of personal relationships and enter the zone of favours from strangers. The puppy class teacher is kind, and I try to emulate the calm, kind voice she uses. I have emailed her twice with questions that expand upon what we do in class. Her last reply was missing those tell-tale signs of intermediate intimacy, salutations. Can you email your puppy class teacher with questions, or should you be paying for that advice? I give heeps of advice to my students in emails, but it would be a conflict of interest for me to charge them for my tutoring services. Also, I'm A type.

Where I'm not sure that I'm A type, however, is with my dog. My boyfriend and I are just not routine people. Mozart is potty trained, sleeping through the night, not barking or biting, but I may have a pinched nerve in back from his pulling on the leash. How do I know that? A. is a physiotherapist. She hates giving advice. Now I owe her twice.

2 comments:

  1. if your puppy class teacher gave you her email, she should be ok with you using it to ask questions!
    We have 2 dogs so went through the puppy training twice! They are great, adorable and pretty well trained- except on a leash. I had a dog trainer come to the house a couple weeks ago to help and basically his advice boiled down to "you have to treat every minute of every walk as a training session." It's hard to do, but he promised that after awhile, they'd get it and only need me to treat every other minute of every walk as a training session.

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So as a note to all the womenAsics Onitsuka Tiger out there who struggle to find great,
    Cheap Rosetta Stone
    pretty shoes in the right sizes. Just name the kind of shoe
    < align="left">Cheap Belstaff Jackets you are looking for and you're sure to be able to find it in one of these great online retailers. Hogan Online Finally enabling every woman to buy high fashion shoes that fit just right!

    ReplyDelete